I recently went on a pre-birthday holiday to the beautiful Island of Lanzarote in The Canary Islands with a friend of mine. Here are just a few reasons why I loved the Island and why I would recommend foodies to go and visit it!
1. I stayed at the gorgeous Villa Natalia. Its a self-catering villa with all mod-cons and it sleeps 12 people with its own heated pool. It’s a stones throw away from Playa Blanca and The Montana Roja volcano.
2. Drinking a pint of ice cold lager with a view of the sea is truly something special! I didn’t even bother to get the name of the lager. It was good though!
3. Seafood galore! I had various seafood dishes…alas I was so excited that I forgot to get the name of most of the actual types of fish! But trust me they tasted just as good as they looked.
4. Spanish food is delicious (if you go to the right places). We had an absolutely scrumptious black rice seafood paella dish in Lanzarote. It was one of the best Spanish meals we had. My rule is the bigger the menu of a restaurant the higher the probability is that they food will be just average. Overall though we ate well and enjoyed most of the authentic food we ate.
5. Post dinner liquor – Honey Rum, Peach Schnapps, Strawberry Cava…you name it we drank it after most of our meals and we loved it! They were complimentary too!
6. The tour of Cueva de Los Verdes was impressive and great value! They have summer supper clubs as well as concerts in the cave so if you’re lucky you can be eating beneath a volcano. it really is a spectacular tour.
7. Dinner is nice but dessert can be glorious! We didn’t always have dessert at the restaurants we ate at, opting instead to go to dedicated dessert bars. This is a yummy apple pie with ice cream that I devoured on an especially hot day!
8. No ordinary snacks. On the rare occasion that we had a snack we didn’t quite go local but we went large! I was craving chicken wings and these were drenched in honey, a bit too much honey for me but still a good snack for me.
9. Pack a picnic and climb a Volcano. We climbed the Montana Roja volcano and teh views of the island were breath-taking. We didn’t pack a picnic but if we had it would have been perfect!
10. I found the perfect steak or 2. We discovered El Argentino, an Argentinian restaurant in Playa Blanca and the only restaurant we ate at more than once. I had the most amazing beef ribs and Centro de Entraña (Hanger steak) which I have to say were some of the best cuts of meat I have ever had! The beef ribs were perfectly barbequed and the fat on the bone was just perfect! The Hanger steak was cooked to perfection, I had mine medium and it was a melt in the mouth cut of steak.
If you ever feel the urge to visit the Canary Islands, make sure that you head down to Lanzarote! It really is a great destination and as you can see you won’t go hungry.